Providing dental care can be through diagnosis, treatment, and management of the entire oral healthcare. A person registered to provide such dental care service is a certified dentist. Anyone offering dental care service might not be a professional dentist, so it is not advisable for you to stay in touch with the said person.
Common dental services
Melbourne dentist offers dental services starting from dental consultation to dental surgical procedures. General dentistry covers various services, namely:
- Dental examinations, dental cleaning, and x-rays
- Extractions, fillings, and root canals
- Cosmetic dentistry (porcelain, composite veneers, and whitening)
- Implants restoration and placement
- Oral appliances (sleep apnea management)
- Relaxation techniques
- Periodontal therapy, preventive care, and nutritional counseling
Dental care services may include dental treatment. Different dental treatments are:
- Teeth cleaning. It is performed by a dentist or dental hygienist. A physical exam is done first before the actual cleaning process. Teeth cleaning is oral hygiene, which involves dental plaque removal from teeth to prevent:
- Periodontal disease
Dental cleaning is easy and painless. Inspecting the teeth and gum is performed first, and using the scalers remove tartar. When the tartar is removed, the tooth will be polished using tooth polishers. It polishes the teeth’ enamel and rinses the mouth out.
- Dental fissure sealants. The protective layer is applied to the molars (chewing teeth) to reduce tooth decay. The application of a sealant is quick and painless and can be done by the dentist. Sealants are applied to fissures or grooves, and back molars pits. White or clear in color, fissure sealants create a smoother surface to prevent food trapped in the tiny grooves of the teeth from causing decay. Dental sealants last between 3-5 years and prevent forming cavities.
- Dental fillings. The teeth are filled with silver amalgam, porcelain, gold, or tooth-colored. Filling treats the small hole or cavity in the teeth. Repair of the cavity is done by removing the decayed tooth tissue and filling the space using the filling material.
- Root canal treatment. A treatment series for the infected pulp of the teeth is intended to result in the removal of infection and decontaminated teeth protection from possible microbial invasion. Root canal is also known as endodontic treatment, a complex dental procedure performed by the dentist. The dental procedure relieves pain, which causes tooth infection or abscessed teeth. The inflamed tooth is removed during a root canal process. The inside surfaces of the tooth are disinfected and cleaned, using the filling seals the space.
All the mentioned dental procedures and services are to be performed by a professional dentist after dental consultation. There is no ordinary person that can perform these dental procedures. So, if you have a dental problem, don’t wait for it to get worse!